Action and Responsibility by Andrew Sneddon
By Andrew Sneddon
What makes an occasion count number as an motion? usual solutions entice the best way the development was once produced: e.g., possibly an arm flow is an motion whilst as a result of psychological states (in specific ways), yet now not whilst brought on in alternative ways. Andrew Sneddon argues that this kind of resolution, which he calls "productionism", is methodologically and considerably fallacious. specifically, productionist solutions to this query are typically both individualistic or foundationalist, or either, with out specific defence. in its place, Sneddon bargains an externalist, anti-foundationalist account of what makes an occasion count number as an motion, which he calls neo-ascriptivism, after the paintings of H.L.A. Hart. in particular, Sneddon argues that our practices of attributing ethical accountability to one another are at the least partially constitutive of occasions as activities.
Read or Download Action and Responsibility PDF
Best personality books
Do the issues in your table betray the strategies in your brain? Does your eating room décor hold clues for your personality? Award-winning psychologist Sam Gosling has dispatched groups of clinical investigators to poke round bedrooms and places of work, try out iPods, and peek at own websites—to see what should be realized approximately us easily from our property.
This article permits readers to appreciate human intelligence from various standpoints, reminiscent of psychology, anthropology, computational technology, sociology, and philosophy. Readers will achieve a entire realizing of the concept that of intelligence and the way rules approximately it have developed and are carrying on with to adapt.
Clash among paintings and family members has been a subject of debate because the starting of the women's move, yet contemporary alterations in family members constructions and crew demographics have made it transparent that the problems impression either men and women. whereas employers and policymakers fight to navigate this new terrain, critics cost that the learn zone, too, has been gradual to reply.
- The Psychology of Human Freedom: A Human Science Perspective and Critique
- Exit: The Endings That Set Us Free
- The Drug User: Personality Issues, Factors, and Theories An Annotated Bibliography
- Teamwork: Multi-Disciplinary Perspectives
- Decolonizing and Feminizing Freedom: A Caribbean Genealogy
Additional resources for Action and Responsibility
Ladd’s objection only has force if one thinks one can identify actions and attribute responsibility outside of the rule-governed contexts of social ways of life. 4 Objection 4: Action not always tied to Responsibility The most obvious and most important objection is also the simplest: issues of responsibility just do not arise in all cases of action. 62 Both Geach and Pitcher hold that Hart was misled by his choice of examples. One might be tempted to think that responsibility is essentially linked to action if you consider such sentences as ‘He hit her’, as Hart does, but that when other sorts of example are considered, the link is not so attractive.
227. ASCRIPTIVISM DEFENDED 39 conceptual confusion by pointing out that we individuate actions by their consequences. 47 The accordion-effect has received attention48 since Feinberg’s characterization of it (he attributes the insight to J. L. Austin), but subtleties have been missed due to omission of the context in which Feinberg introduced the concept. In considering whether Hart’s account of the concept ‘action’ can be said to apply to action sentences not obviously attributing responsibility, Feinberg examines a variety of notions of responsibility and their attribution.
To Ladd, these are unacceptable ways of interpreting our practices. Is there some third option besides having no practice or having a groundless practice? To ground the attribution of responsibility, we need something independent of that for which responsibility is attributed. Ladd presents the matter as if all there were to a single attribution of responsibility was the judge, the action, the consequence, and the agent. Amongst these items, if responsibility is attributed for the action as well as the consequence, there is nothing left to ground the judgment.